Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Monday 30 July 2007

Metamorphosis



This is one reason why making space in the garden for wildlife is so important and special - to be able to witness the moment a dragonfly emerges from the skin of the nymph. It takes off it's old clothes - a diving suit complete with transparent eye shields - and is transformed into a exquisitely beautiful flying insect. I have a collection of nine perfect nymphal cases on a shelf in my studio, they remind me that our modest pond is key to the life cycle of these beautiful insects and their amazing transformation from monsters of the deep to brightly coloured masters of flight.

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to have witnessed this event, Celia. I have never seen this phenomenon that must be happening in our garden too.

    Despite this we are delighted by the dragonflies that circle our pond.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.