Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Tuesday 10 April 2007

Mmmmmm! Asparagus!



I love asparagus, but I try to wait for the English asparagus season - the imported stuff just doesn't taste right! We're lucky to live near a grower who sells freshly cut asparagus from his glasshouses - not quite the intense flavour of the outdoor grown spears but very very good. Maybe my love of asparagus is inherited - the boy in the photo is my grandfather, he is helping his uncle prepare asparagus for market in bundles held together with twisted willow. The picture was taken around 1910 in the village where I grew up and we ate asparagus twice a day all through the asparagus season - even our cat liked asparagus!

I've just notice one little asparagus spear pushing up from our asparagus bed - hopefully the first of a good crop this year. The anticipation of eating it is nearly as good and actually tasting it, that's the magic of crops with a very short season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.